BR-KC is seeking to help meet a massive need for sanitary face masks for first responders and medical personnel by sewing masks to particular specifications.
Fellowship Church in Greenwood/Raymore have already initiated such a process and provided some training and orientation. If you are already coordinating with Fellowship Church please continue!
We want and need to expand the sewing and provision of face masks and have requests for many thousands of masks!
We have received starter kits from The Sewing Lab which include instructions and supplies. However, links to online instructions are below as well. The goal would be for you to become proficient with the process and then your church, your group or groups would source your own materials, make as many masks each week as you can. BR-KC will disseminate these kits to different locations around the city (see the list below). Each of these locations has a tote in a prominent location where the materials will be kept. You will need to pick up kits from one of the regional locations and return your completed masks to the same location at least once a week. BR-KC reps will come to each location twice a week to drop off more kits (as they are available) and to pick up the masks. They will then be delivered to a central coordinating point for dispersal to first responders, nursing homes and hospitals requesting them. Additional details are listed below.
Let Jennifer know if you are a seamstress and desire to help. Please mobilize as many as you can.
This can be a huge contribution to the cause of fighting Covid-19 while keeping you home and safe.
- Kits are being supplied by The Sewing Lab in KCMO. Each kit contains enough supplies to produce 12 masks and includes instructions.
- Pick-up/Drop-off locations:
- Fellowship Church, 1601 W. Main Street, Greenwood (tote outside main entrance)
- Fellowship Church, 116 S. Washington, Raymore (tote outside south entrance)
- Phoenix Home Care, 14330 E. 42nd Street S., Independence (tote outside the entrance Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- We are working to find additional locations.
- Once your masks are completed, please put them in a clean ziplock bag and return to any of the above locations at least once a week.
- After you go through the initial kit, it is helpful if you can source your own materials. We know some seamstresses have extra material and some have none. If you can share, please leave your 100% cotton material in the totes where others can pick up.
- Please only take what you can get done in 2 to 3 days. We want to keep the supply going.
- A Facebook group has been created by Fellowship Church to share ideas/patterns/resources. To join, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/232507167942984/
If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Hutton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-623-5360.